Important Announcement - COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
*Last Updated: 3/18/2020
MARCH 18, 2020 – USCG National Maritime Center DIRECTIVE – COVID-19 Training Requirements
ALL ONLINE COURSES using Northeast Maritime Institute’s – NEMO° for Maritime Professional Training and Certification are now approved to take their respective examinations using NMI’s proprietary software – HALO° Examination Monitoring System. TAKE YOUR EXAMS AT HOME!
ONLINE COURSES APPROVED FOR ONLINE EXAMS DURING COVID-19 CRISIS. PLEASE DO NOT TRAVEL!
MARCH 15, 2020 – Northeast Maritime Institute continues to manage rapidly changing developments associated with the coronavirus with a singular focus on the health and well-being of our students, faculty and staff, and the goal of students’ academic completion of the spring semester. To that end, Northeast Maritime Institute has decided to take two significant actions:
- We will begin online delivery of all Associate in Applied Science in Nautical Science classes on March 16, 2020. Eliminating in-person classroom instruction is an important step to minimize potential pathways for community spread of COVID-19 within our NMI community.
- Students will not return to campus until April 6, 2020. Students who need to return to their assigned student housing or prior to April 6, 2020 due to special circumstances must contact the student housing coordinator, Heather Correia, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective March 16, 2020– All classes for the Associate in Applied Science in Nautical Science program will be delivered online.
- All existing courses will be available to help students complete the semester on time.
- Online courses will be delivered synchronously, i.e., at the normal class time with the instructor.
- Each instructor will be in contact with students about their specific classes and provide directions on how to access online classes; technology assistance will be provided. (Please make sure that you are checking your email several times a day)
- Faculty will work with students upon their return to campus to complete required practical training and assessments.
This plan is subject to change as we reassess developments over the next week, based on the most current health reports. Be sure to check your email often for updates.
On Monday, March 30th at 4pm we will confirm the return of students to campus for April 6, 2020 or communicate if there is any change in our plan. Depending on the current health situation, we may further delay the return to campus. We will communicate our decision via email.
**It is very important that you continue to monitor your NMI email to ensure that you do not miss any updates.**
We recognize that this is a stressful and disruptive situation for students and families. We are here to help you through this difficult period, and we hope we can count on your understanding. The health and well-being of our community is priority number one while we continue to support our students’ learning and on-time completion of the program. We thank you and the entire NMI community for your understanding and kindness to each other as we make our way, together, through these challenging times.
Following are helpful links to information from credible sources that could help you protect yourself and others from COVID-19:
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Coronavirus
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) – Coronavirus
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health – Information on the Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- The Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) – Coronavirus Cases
- Johns Hopkins – Coronavirus Resource Center
- Washington Post – What you Need to Know about Coronavirus
Metrics and Spreading:
- Washington Post – Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially, and how to “flatten the curve”
- WHO – Q&A on Coronavirus
- Financial Times – Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads